[Note: We post these Daily Actions to our website everyday. Please check out and share w/ those who aren't on FB!]
Hi, and welcome to the part of American history where we were all suddenly living in a really shitty Tom Clancy thriller about Russian spies and the sheer incompetence of Planet Earth's most power-hungry white men.
But forget them for a second—today we honor the Day Without Immigrants, a nationwide strike that's led to restaurants, businesses, and even some schools shutting down to day to demonstrate the huge role that immigrants play in American society. Follow #DayWithoutImmigrants on twitter for updates on protests, actions, and business closures across the country.
2. #ACTION Learn about + amplify the story of Jeanette Vizguerra, an immigrant and mother of four (and grandmother!) in Denver who has sought sanctuary in the First Unitarian Church in Denver. She made a plan with her family to skip her ICE hearing, and go directly to the church. Please read the NYT story:
Our SolSun member from Denver, Renee Dubois, is close to this story—she posted this last night: "I was at ICE today when this happened and I am close to many of the people involved so can answer any questions, but the bottom line is this mom is amazing. She has been working tirelessly at her job in media, as an activist for sanctuary space (oh the irony) for years, and raising three young kids. She has broken no laws and was in due process to become a citizen. ICE intentionally waited for Trump to come in rather than review her case 2 months ago. Luckily she had her lawyer and pastor show up for her today because there was a wall of armed ICE to arrest and deport her, and then upset she didn't show, denied her stay. She is now living in sanctuary at a church here. What the community needs from you is visibility."
So note that Jeanette is likely to be extra targeted because of her role as an activist. Her three young children are all US-born.
How to support:
1) SHARE THIS STORY ON SOCIAL MEDIA
2) DONATE TO THE METRO DENVER SANCTUARY COALITION: https://www.metrodenversanctuary.org/visit_us
3) SIGN THIS PETITION AND SHARE IT https://action.groundswell-mvmt.org/…/jeanette-s-family-nee…
(note that we usually avoid petitions on SolSun, but make an exception for this one—it also provides a lot of great detail on Jeanette and her story
4) IF YOU ARE A MEMBER OF A CHURCH, ASK YOUR PASTOR/COMMUNITY ABOUT THEIR STANCE ON THIS—WOULD YOUR CHURCH BE WILLING TO PROTECT SOMEONE LIKE JEANETTE? WOULD YOUR CONGREGATION STAND BEHIND THIS? I really think that faith-based communities of all kinds have a major role to play in the fight against deportation, religious discrimination bans, etc.
Renee Dubois, please keep us posted as to how else we can support!
3) If you're still in a donating mood, find an immigration rights org in your city/state/region, and make a donation of any size today. Immigrants/people in immigration court do NOT have the right to government-appointed counsel, which is a HUGE issue. Support immigration lawyers and the orgs they work for!
4) Ok, also: CALL YOUR SENATORS TODAY ABOUT PRUITT, THE NOMINATION FOR THE EPA! The final vote will likely come before the Senate tomorrow; GOP Sen Susan Collins will vote not, BUT Dem Joe Manchin (W Va) will vote yes (so his constituents can all be poisoned by coal runoff apparently). Unless another incriminating 80s Oprah video gets released tonight, his confirmation is almost certain. BUT STILL, WE CALL.
"Hi, my name is [NAME] and I'm a constituent from [CITY, ZIP]. I'm calling to express my deep opposition to the confirmation of Scott Pruitt to lead the Environmental Protection Agency. He will be a disaster for environmental safety."
[Note: there is MUCH more to say about Pruitt, but we're trying to keep calls short—this is about tallying your 'no' stance, not about explaining the million ways in which he's a total nightmare]
Phew! What a damn week. Also: Everyone watch Rachel Maddow. She and her writing/research team are KILLING it every night.
p.s. If you want to keep calling your Reps to demand full independent investigations of Flynn and everything Russia, you go right ahead!