***URGENT CALL FOR ACTION ON ALEPPO***
Preempting today's previous Call for Action with the following urgent actions on the devastation and carnage in Aleppo. The info and actions below come from activist/writer/editor/feminist badasses Mikki Halpin + Sarah Sophie Flicker. I've added the call scripts. Please act, and share.
"Civilians and aid workers are trapped as the city is falling to government forces. The UN reported this morning that 82 civilians were shot on the spot. Residents are sending out their goodbyes as they face death. They are pleading for international help but the only country intervening is Russia—on the Syrian government side. The British House of Commons is trying to figure out how to open a "human corridor" for evacuees and refugees—although we know the life of a refugee is not easy.
1. Donate to Doctors Without Borders, who are delivering babies as bombs fall.
2. Donate to the International Rescue Committee who will aid the refugees.
3. Donate to Circle of Health International, a woman-run non-profit that has been supporting women, midwives, and babies in Syria for 5 years. They currently support the last hospital in Aleppo.
4. Call your senators and ask them what they are doing to help the situation.
"I am calling because I am horrified by what is happening to the people of Aleppo and I want to know what your stance and response is. Please let me know what our country is going to do to end the terror, evacuate civilians, and support refugees."
5. Call the National Security Council: 202 456 1111
6. Call the White House 202-456-1111 (TTY/TDD: 202 456 6213)
7. Call Samantha Power, the United States Ambassador to the UN: (212)415-4000
8. Call the United Nations Human Rights Council Office of the High Commissioner (international calls) +41 22 917 9220
9. CALL THE STATE DEPARTMENT AND THE RUSSIAN EMBASSY TO DEMAND SAFE PASSAGE.
State Department: +1 202-647-9572 and Russian Embassy: +1-202-298-5700
10. Stay tuned to the news and the tragedy all day and to keep acting.