Tues, Jan 10, 2017
SESSIONS HEARING + DEFEND THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT
(Note: There is A LOT going on this week. And there will continue to be A LOT going on. We realize that all the info + actions can be overwhelming. Do what you can, when you can, in a way that works for you. Every little bit helps. For real.)
1. The Jeff Sessions hearing is live on CSPAN right now, and NPR and FOX are streaming live on FB. Watch if you can. Calls to Senators are still relevant b/c the hearing is tomorrow too. Tillerson hearings start tomorrow, so still call for that too. AND DEVOS' HEARING HAS BEEN POSTPONED! More time to call about her!
2. ACA: Last night Senate Dems took to the floor for a "talk-a-thon" in support of the ACA. Today we make calls to support them and echo the sentiments of the VAST majority of Americans: Repealing the ACA WITHOUT a viable replacement is a literal death sentence for hundreds of thousands of Americans. Repealing the ACA is the top priority for the GOP and there is a VERY good chance that it won't happen. Public pressure is mounting, and a handful of GOP Senators have expressed concern—some want to wait for a replacement, some don't want Planned Parenthood defunding to be included (Collins and Murkowski), etc. The Dems are TOTALLY unified on this and will NOT compromise. It will take THREE GOP Senators to deny this effort, and if that happens it will be a huge win for every single American whose life depends on the ACA, AND for #TheResistance.
CONTACT YOUR REPS TODAY (you have the numbers saved in your phone, RIGHT?!) If your Rep is a Dem who spoke on the floor last night, thank her/him! If your Rep is GOP, let her/him know that repealing the ACA without a replacement is the worst idea ever. This is a time to be VERY personal with calls—share your healthcare stories, or speak on behalf of someone you know who relies on Medicare, the ACA, etc. A basic call script is:
"Hi, my name is ________ and I'm calling to voice my support for the Affordable Care Act. Repealing without a viable replacement would be an absolute disaster for millions of hardworking Americans, including children, seniors, and those with special needs and disabilities. People will die if this happens, period."
3. IF YOUR REP IS ONE OF THE REPUBS who is a potential NO vote (has indicated they don't support repeal w/out replace, or cosponsored the delay bill, CALL THEM AND KEEP THE PRESSURE ON!
Rand Paul (KY)
Lisa Murkowski (AL)
Bob Corker (TN)
Rob Portman (OH)
Susan Collins (ME)
Bill Cassidy (LA)
Tom Cotton (AR)
Lamar Alexander (TN)
Jeff Flake (AZ)
4. Call Mitch McConnell and tell him that the GOP cannot REPEAL WITHOUT REPLACE "Last night Senators took to the floor to share stories of Americans who will DIE if the ACA is repealed. I stand with the overwhelmingly majority of the American people when I say that you cannot repeal without a replacement. That would be an absolute disaster for millions of hardworking Americans, including children, seniors, and those with special needs and disabilities. People will die if this happens, period."
5. On a nationwide conference call last night, Senators Chuck Schumer and Elizabeth Warren both spoke of the importance of people reaching out to family and friends who NEED the ACA, to encourage THEM to contact their Reps as well. This is an issue where Trump-supporters and people on the left may find common ground—your Trump-voting Uncle might be totally screwed without Medicare. So! DO WHAT ELIZABETH TOLD US TO DO, and reach out to someone, anyone, who *might* not otherwise be inclined to call their Reps about a political issue. Encourage them to call and tell their story.